Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9 Piece Knife Block Set
- Constructed of SG2 micro-carbide steel with Damascus design, total of 101 layers
- Blade features a Katana 9.5 to 12° edge, hand-honed using the traditional 3-step Japanese Honbazuke method
- 5000MCD, Cryodur ice-hardened to 63 Rockwell hardness; rounded spine and heel
- Traditional Japanese D-shape handle made of Karelian Birchwood; the only wood ever used in a Faberge egg
- Handles feature mosaic pin accent with two red spacers and stainless engraved end cap
- Handcrafted in Seki, Japan with a lifetime warranty; hand-wash only
Item number: 34370-009
- JMJeffery M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productWhat is your cooking skill level? AdvancedWhat is your gender? MaleHow old are you? Over 65Bought For MyselfHas Owned Product For Under 1 MonthUses Product WeeklyRated 5 out of 5 stars2 weeks agoElegant and Technically Advanced!!
My neighbors received a set last Christmas!! I was taken back from its beauty. Months later, I started researching knives and also discovered what high performing knives Miyabi manufactures. Hence, I treated myself! I was also pleased with the prompt receipt of the package (considering the shipping was free)!
- GgezaVerified BuyerI recommend this productWhat is your cooking skill level? AdvancedWhat is your gender? MaleHow old are you? 55-64Rated 5 out of 5 stars5 years agoBeautiful and effective.
I spent a lot of time researching different knife manufacturers and the products they offered. In the end, I purchased a Miyabi Birchwood SG2 9 piece Knife Block Set as a gift for my wife. Even though I knew what I had ordered, I was shocked at the beauty of this knife set. Each piece is like a work of art. They are sharp like razor blades.
These knives arrive with untreated wooden handles. I was concerned about the possibility of staining or discoloration so I spent a few minutes applying refined coconut oil and beeswax to the handles. The ceremony of doing this was very pleasant and kind of highlighted to my wife the significance of these fine instruments. The oil and beeswax actually improved the look of the wood and provided a level of protection for the future.
These knives are expensive and honestly they are beyond my normal budget, for anything. However, I am blessed to be married to a woman who likes to cook. I wanted to give her something that showed my appreciation for all of her effort in the kitchen and highlight how special I think her efforts are. This Miyabi Birchwood knife set did this and more. Truly Spectacular.
- HHomecook101Verified BuyerI recommend this productWhat is your cooking skill level? IntermediateWhat is your gender? FemaleHow old are you? 45-54Rated 5 out of 5 stars7 years agoSharp and beautiful handle
I use it for about three weeks. Love it. Great quality.
- WwokfreekI recommend this productRated 4 out of 5 stars7 years agoVery nice set of Japanese blades, but the handles are porous!
I recommend these with reservation...
BEWARE- the handles are very porous and will easily stain. There are no special instructions specific to handle care. The first time I used one of these knifes it became stained with what looked like smudged finger prints and not possible to remove. Very disappointing considering the cost. The best you can do is try to mask the smudge by applying some mineral oil. Afterword, I treated all the handles to help seal the pores of the wood to reduce staining. Unfortunately, any oil you apply even clear mineral oil will cause the wood to darken. You just need to be aware that the handle appearance of your super expensive blades are going to change from blond to brunette over time....